Sunday 2 May 2010

SOUVENIRS OF MEXICO


The problem with an extended period of travel is that you cannot buy all the presents and souvenirs that you might do if you are only on a fortnight´s holiday. I have already seen beautifully intricate Mayan and Aztec wood carvings, colourfully painted skulls and plates and lucha libre masks that I would have loved to have bought if it was not for the fact my rucksack is already full and I certainly don´t want it any heavier.

Today one of the Yucatan sellers at Chichen Itza showed me progressively smaller and smaller ítems when I told him I was on a long journey with a rucksack that was already too heavy. When I told another seller that it was the peso (weight) and not pesos (Mexican money) that was the reason I could not buy anything from him, he ingeniously suggested that I just gave him the money but didn´t actually take anything away from his stall, and that way my rucksack would not suffer.

The same street seller had already asked me how much I earned back in London, and then told me he earned $10 a day if he was lucky. I explained that London was a much more expensive place t olive, and we listened to each other´s complaints about the long hours that we worked. When I told him that the quality of life was a lot better in Mexico than in the UK, and the people generally happier with life from what I had seen, I was slightly surprised that he immediately agreed with me, and I realised that nota ll Mexicans are trying to smuggle themselves across the border to the north t olive the capitalistic, American dream.

Whilst on the subject of dreaming, here are the presents that I might have bought back for you if I didn´t have to consider the weight of my rucksack.