Thursday 13 May 2010

REFLECTIONS ON ANTIGUA


Antigua is the most beautiful town I have visited so far, and the place I´d most like to live in of the places I´ve seen. With its cobblestoned streets, thin pavements and colourfully-painted houses, I am reminded of Spain yet again.

A large glass monstrosity guared the causeway entrance to the island of Flores (next to where the women washed their clothes and the men fished from the rocks) a large Burger King sign on its frontage. Here in Antigua, civic planners have been a lot more clever, making the US fastfood chains operate out of existing adobe buildings to ensure they blend in with their surroundings.

I would definitely have liked to stay longer in Antigua and do a longer, more strenuous climb of Volcan Agua, however the blisters on my feet from Volcan Pacaya are fresh, and time is running short – I am supposed to meet someone in Guatemala City tomorrow.

When I fly back to Guatemala in late June to do a few weeks of Spanish language clases in the town of San Pedro on the backs of Lake Atitlan, I may well detour back through Antigua to conquer the volcano that sometimes disappears magically.