Saturday 15 May 2010

POLLO CAMPERO


Whilst out in Zona 10 yesterday evening with Anajose, she gave me a few recommendations for traditional Guatemalan food that I should try whilst in her country, such as tamales, chuchitos, rellenitos and hilachas. As a last resort, Anajose also suggested a visit to Pollo Campero, a Guatemalan fast food chain that had apparently chased KFC out of the country a few years previously with its superior fried chicken products. I will give you one guess as to what last resort I headed straight towards this evening.



Having not been a fan of Colonel Sanders and his greasy chicken for several years following an unsavoury incident one night in Central London when a friend was served only 9 nuggets in his 10 nugget KFC bucket, I am pleased to report that a Pollo Campero chicken sandwich plus a side order of two pieces of breadcrumbed chicken really hits the finger-lickin’ spot.

With its ambient local atmosphere, metal cutlery and friendly waitresses eager to seat and serve everyone except for keen first-time extranjeros that march straight up to the kitchen counter in their search for chicken wings, Pollo Campero is almost certainly a place I will revist during my Latin American travels, whenever all other dining avenues have been exhausted and I am in need of resorting to a last resort.