Wednesday 26 May 2010

A SLEEPLESS NIGHT IN MEXICO CITY AIRPORT


I think someone once said that it is not what you see in A or B, but the experience of getting from A to B that is the real enjoyment of travel.

Tripe, is what I say to that. I wish someone would invent time travel so I can get from A to B without losing precious sleep. This time A is Mexico City and B is Los Mochis. Its a 24-hour bus journey which I had not been looking forward to, so I was extremely pleased this morning to find a last minute flight that cost not much more than the bus and takes only 2.5 hours. The only fly in the ointment is that my cheap flight leaves Benito Juárez International Airport at 06:50 AM tomorrow morning, and the Mexico City metro system does not open early enough to get me to the airport in time to catch my flight.

So for the third time in two months, a cheap Scotsman that steadfastly refuses to pay for an exhorbitant airport hotel-room finds himself sitting at an airport the night before a flight, wishing time would fly quicker so he could fly sooner to his next destination.

I know I won´t sleep tonight. There is nowhere quiet to hole myself up in for the night. There are no seats and the tiles on the ground are haemarhoidally cold. And it also appears that the airport building maintenance nightshift here at Mexico City´s International Airport ake the same approach as Guatemalan overnight bus drivers, ie to leave the air-conditioning on 'Arctic Tundra' setting even when the outside temperature has dropped over twenty degrees centigrade.

My only saving grace for another night of freezing temperatures is my GBP 5.00 woolen poncho that I bought whilst drunk in Chiapas, and even that is slightly bitter sweet, as although it is warm, it is already attracting airport security staff like moths to a bright light, as I look like a homeless Mexican.