Sunday 16 May 2010

A BUS JOURNEY BACK INTO MEXICO


Today I left Guatemala and started the long journey north to meet friends in San Fransisco. Travelling on Ticabus (the Central American equivalent of Greyhound) cost me just over GBP 10 for a 7 hour bus journey from Guatemala City up to Tapachula (just over the Mexican border) to catch a connection bus onto San Cristobal De Las Casas.

I am going to be seeing the insides of buses a lot over the next three weeks as I travel approximately 3000 miles up through Chiapas and Oaxaca to Mexico City, then onto Los Mochis to ride the Chihuahua-Pacific railway train through the Copper Canyon, before a final marathon bus journey across the US border and up through California to Frisco.

On the positive side, I only have one more border to cross to get to the Golden Gate Bridge, having again been exhausted today at the Mexican border by the begging children, crooked money-changers and this time a man that tried to sell me a form that I didn’t need.