Friday 7 May 2010

LIFE ON 'DE' BELIZEAN ISLANDS


Daily life on San Pedro (on Caye Ambergris) and Caye Caulker has been slow, with electric golf carts the transport mode of choice for getting around. The locals are a mix of many countries and cultures, and I have heard Creole, Jamaican, Spanish, Lebanese, Chinese and English in my time walking around between scuba dives. The only word I was able to understand during an angry drunken exchange between some Jamaicans the other night was the 'F' word, and I was left wondering if the only reason for that is because Gordon Ramsey's cooking show airs on the television over here.

Talking of food, it has been a similar culinary mix of many countries and cultures, and I have enjoyed banana bread, a mammoth foot long burrito, jerk chicken and rice, plantain crisps and hopefully tonight, a shrimp curry in coconut sauce.

However great local cuisine aside, even if it wasn't for the dusty beaches and sea weedy sea, I don't think I would fancy permanent residency on the Belizean islands, as their flat topology makes them feel only a  few melted icebergs away from extinction. So I will leave the USD 4 Million island currently for sale nearby that boasts Leonardo Di Caprio as a next door neighbour for other interested parties, and head for the Belize mainland on Sunday after my dive at the Blue Hold tomorrow.



Life is sometimes slow on the islands