Wednesday 19 May 2010

A PAY BY THE HOUR HOTEL ROOM IN TUXTLA




The matrimonial suite of Posada Maria Isabel in downtown Tuxtla Gutierrez is not somewhere I would necessarily want to spend my honeymoon anyway, but after an uncomfortable walk in the Mexican blazing sun trying to find some cheap accommodation for the night, I would probably still have been unhappy to be staying there, even if my room had a jacuzzi, waterbed and complimentary minibar.

As it is, my GBP 9.00 a night room has none of the above or a toilet seat, and the lightbulb is positioned directly above the electric fan so you can self-induce an epileptic fit if you have both on at the same time.

A sign in my room warns that any surprise discovery of guests using drugs will be reported to the authorities. Another sign at reception suggests the hotel may well be one of the more seedier Mexican establishments that I read about on the Internet back in the UK before I started my travels, a hotel in which guests can pay for a room by the hour.

Realising this makes me start to wonder what sort of men bring a women to the Posada Maria Isabel, and what sort of women let themselves be brought. I think for a woman to come willingly to the hotel I am staying in, she must either be drunk, hopelessly in love or be getting paid a very good hourly rate herself.