Tuesday 23 November 2010

SILICONE AND RAINWATER IN MEDELLÌN


It took me almost two hours to spot my first fake breasts in Medellin. Perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough. Perhaps I was looking too hard. Either way, I was a little disappointed that it took me almost 120 minutes to spot a pair of silicone enhanced mammaries, when all the guidebooks, and everybody that has been before (and is male), had told me that Medellin is Colombia's capital city of silicon implants.

Or perhaps I just didn't see them because they were all hiding under umbrellas. Having spotted a hot circular thing in the sky when I stepped off the plane that I haven't seen for several weeks in Bogota (apparently, its called the sun), I was more than a little disappointed when it started raining just after I had checked into my hostal, and headed out to do some sight-seeing.

After a quick walk around the Botero statues, hiding under my own umbrella as I gingerly stepped around puddles, I headed back indoors for a seat on public transport. Medellin's Metrocable offers an unique opportunity for tourists to great view of the city, and also see some of the areas that the guidebooks advise not to visit on foot. Fifty feet up overhead, the cable car system is a ideal way to see (and hear) some of Medellin´s poverty at close quarters, without the risk of losing your  camera and wallet. And the trip only cost me 50 pence return. On the downside, I don't think some of the other passengers in my cabin were too happy about me taking lots of photos of the shitty neighbourhoods that they live in.