Saturday 20 November 2010

3RD WORLD TEN PIN BOWLING IN BOGOTÂ


Colombia is an emerging and developing country, according to the IMF and United Nations definitions: it is a nation with a low level of material well-being. However, the longer I am here in the Land of El Dorado, the more I am starting to disagree with this, and the more I keep technology that makes me think that Colombia is actually more advanced than the UK and other developed countries that the IMF and the UN classify as advanced economies.

THe latest example came on the way to play ten-pin bowling today, when an ingenious red/green light system in the busy car park told us exactly where the empty parking spaces were without having to drive around and around trying to find one. This is something I have never seen back in the UK, the US or indeed any other country in the world. That said, the Bolicentro in Bogotà is also the first place I have ever had to manually score a game of ten-pin bowling with a pencil and paper. Which actually turned out better than I first feared, as not having automate electronic scoring makes it a lot easier for me to cheat.


 
green light = empty space                         pencil & paper = Ross always wins