Friday 12 November 2010

EXTORTIONATELY OVERPRICED FAST FOOD IN BOGOTÀ


Something that has been niggling me for the last seven months of travelling really started to get on my nerves today when I started to think about it in more detail:

Why does a McDonalds meal in 'developing' Central American countries and Colombia cost the same (or more) as in the UK?

This thought came to me as I sat in a Golden Arches in North Bogotà this afternoon, celebrating my recent purchase of a pair of slimline, 32 (thirty-two) inch waist jeans with a Big Mac McCombo meal and a cheeky side-order of two cheeseburger, when it suddenly struck me that at 17,900 pesos, my Maccydees lunch here in Bogotà cost the same, if not more, as I have paid for the same meal back in the UK for the last 8+ years of eating it with a 36 inch waist.

How can this be? How can Ronald McDonald justify such a high price for fast food in Colombia, when everything else in the country is about a third of the price of the UK? I worked in McDonalds when I was at University, and so I know that the most expensive outgoings in a McDonalds restaurant are its employee, property and franchise costs. I remember being shocked to discover during my employment that the total internal cost of a medium Coca Cola was only 5 pence (in 1997).

The minimum wage here in Colombia is around GBP 1.1 per hour, and the average price of real estate is about 25% of the current property prices in the UK (and probably even less if I was to compare a McDonalds on Calle 126, North Bogotà with that of 291B Oxford Street, London). Therefore I am left to assume that the shareholders of NYSE: MCD are getting fatter on the profits of its Latin American restaurant franchises, as I sit in North Bogotà getting fatter on my overpriced Big Mac meal (and dos hamburguesas con queso). 

I has better watch out, or I will be back up to a 34 inch waist before I know it.



  
17,900 pesos = an extortionate GBP 5.98