Friday 19 November 2010

AN ANNOYING ISRAELITE IN BOGOTÀ


I have eradicated numerous national stereotypes from my head during my seven months of travelling in the Americas. Cubans don't all smoke cigars. Mexicans don't all have droopy moustaches. Panamanians don't all wear hats. Colombians don't all smuggle drugs. However one stereotype still remains large in my mind: Israeli people are on the whole, the most selfish, self-absorbed pig-ignorants that I have ever met, or certainly in the case for the numerous 'Israelita's' that I have encountered over the last few months.

THe latest one to get my back up is an irritating female backpacker in the hostal that I have been staying in for the last few nights. The evening I checked in, my allocated dorm bed looked slept in because she had apparently been sitting on it instead of her own. Since then, everytime I arrive back at the hostal, something of hers is lying on my bed. First it was her bikini bottoms (XL), then it was a wet towel, and then it was a water bottle. Of course, its not particularly surprising to find her stuff continually on my bed, given the contents of her rucksack are always spread over the floor and around the room like it is her own bedroom and not a six-bunk dorm that she is supposed to be sharing with five other people. In many ways, , the situation in the hostal dorm is actually a metaphor for the wider situation in the Middle East: Israel is continually trying to expand its borders illegally, by taking land (or in this case, dorm-room floor) that doesn't belong to it. 

Asides from the illegal occupation of my bed, this particular Israeli is as noisy as anybody I have ever encountered in a hostal. Last night her talking in the dorm woke me up at 3AM, despite wearing ear plugs, and having a scarf wrapped around my head like a knackered Egyptian mummy trying to get some shut-eye. It seems as well as being untidy, she likes the sound of her own voice more than anybody else likes to hear it, particularly at three o'clock in the morning.

However worst of all, this particular Israeli evidently love herself, judging by the way she prances around the hostal like a cat-walk model, and indeed like she owns the place. Which just confirms that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, as personally, I think she is a fat-arsed pain in the arse, with a face like the back end of a Transmilenium bus.



Footnote: I have just discovered the Israeli checked out the hostal this morning, which is good news for her, as I was seriously conisdering buying a bottle of aceite de girasol (sunflower oil) and pouring it all over the clothes she has been leaving scattered around the dorm.  

Footnote 2: I apologise profusely to the United States, as for the first few hours of witnessing her behaviour, I thought the irritating Israeli was a Gringo.