Monday 26 July 2010

CHEESY RINGS AND VOLCAN BOQUERON


El Salvador is tiny, probably the smallest country I will visit during my travels  through the Americas. Four El Salvadors could fit in Scotland, and yesterday I covered a significant part of the country during my roadtrip with the wonderful Jessica, in just a few short hours.

Today, I visited my first volcano in the country: El Boequeron. An organised tour from San Salvador to the volcanic crator would have cost about USD 40, whilst travel by public transport cost 75 cents each way. Needless to say, the Scotsman in El Salvador chose the latter means of transport. 

Quite a few Salvadoraño's smiled to themselves as they got on and noticed the extranjero sitting on the bus, but I am not sure if this is because they instantly recognised a tightfisted traveller willing to risk the gangs of El Salvador to travel on the cheap, or if it was because of the cheese around my mouth, having bought a packet of onion rings whilst waiting for my connection bus in Santa Tecla, that were shaped like onion rings, looked like onion rings on the packet, but were actually ring-shaped cheesy Wotsits.

The first rule of travel: Things are not always what they seem.

The second rule of travel: Read the packet. The clue was in the word 'queso' (cheese) above the picture of the non-onion flavoured rings.