Tuesday 6 July 2010

AN ADDICTION IN SAN PEDRO


My name is Ross and I am addicted to pork scratchings.

Having lived in London for over a decade without developing any sort of habit for pork rind, I am not quite sure how or when it happened, but now I cannot walk past a shop in Guatemala without buying a packet (or five) of chicharonnes.


 Question: How long will five packets of Chicharrones last?


Perhaps it it is because pork cracking is actually quite healthy, or because they only cost 30 pence a packet, but either way, I am now having to stray further and further afield from my San Pedro homestay to get my fix, as local shops are already starting to run out of stock.

The other night, I generously bought a packet for each of the four young brothers in my homestay because one of them told me he also liked chicharonnes, something I am now regretting
bitterly since realising it means there are four less packets in the village for me.


  Answer: Not Very



 

I can only hope they sell pork scratchings in the next countries I visit. Chicharonnes is a Guatamalteco brand, but reading the back of the packet the other day as I polished off its contents confirmed that they do also have factories in Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, the next few countries I will be visiting on my travels. I can only hope they also sell them when I get down to Panama, and in South America, as if they don´t I am not quite sure what I am going to do. I am already getting withdrawal symptoms just thinking about them as I write this blog post.

In fact I think I will go and buy a