Sunday 11 July 2010

NOT STUDYING IN SAN PEDRO


I have a big exam tomorrow at my Spanish school, so naturally, I have spent toay doing everything I can think of that will prevent me from having to study.

I woke up around 10AM, grudgingly, when the noise of 10 children screaming outside my homestay eventually seeped through my ear plugs and state of unconsciousness. The rest of the morning was then spent sauntering around the locals shopsin San Pedro, trying not to thinkabout the present and imperfect subjunctive verb forms that I struggled with last week and my Spanish maestra Clarita had already warned me on Friday would figure heavily in Mondays exam as I picked up a genuine replica Barcelona football top for GBP 9, and my second GBP 5 woolen poncho of my Latin American travels.

Shopping completed around midday, I hurried back to my homestay, having been kindly invited by my homestay host Felipe to have lunch and watch the world cup final with him and the rest of the familia Chanajay-Samol. Domingos are the day when Guatemalan families go to church and spend the day together, and homestay students are supposed to make themselves scarce, so it was an offer that was gratefully received, not least because having watched virtually evern football match with Felipe since arriving back in Guatemala three weeks ago, I could think of no other place in San Pedro that I would rather have watched the football.

120 minutes of diving, dirty tackling and a wet English referee that should have sent a Dutchman off much earlier so the rest of the players cut out it out, Spain had won 1-0 and it was 3PM and I suddenly realised that with only a fortnight until I finished my Spanish schoolin San Pedro, I had better urgently start planning my journey down through Central America in August at a local Internet cafe, and sacrifice the learning of subjunctive Spanish verbs for another few hours

My itenary planning took me to 6PM, whereupon I went for dinner. Following this, I stopped off at another cybercafe on the walk back to my homestay, as it would have been rude not to finetune my August travel plans and risk indigestion by studying subjunctive conjugations so soon after a meal.

Its now 21:50 and I am finally back at my homestay trying to study, whilst also guarding the house whilst the family are all at church. Unfortunately, it is raining heavily and every noise of dripping water outside sounds like a potential intruder that needs investigating, and so I am still not getting far with my verb revision.


Monday Prologue: I did surprisingly well in my exam, my first attempt at the Advanced Level test in the school I am studying, which is particularly ironic given I am still greeting Guatamaltecos in the street with a cheerful good morning at 10 o'clock in the evening.