Wednesday 7 July 2010

AN EARTHQUAKE IN SAN PEDRO


According to Rosa´s mother (and since confirmed on the Internet), there was some tremblors de tierra in San Pedro last night around 1AM. Annoyingly, I slept through it and didn’t feel a thing. Annoying in the sense that having already missed a powerful earthquake in Mexico City by three weeks and a dramatic eruption of Pacaya volcano in Guatemala by less than a fortnight during my travels, this time I was actually in the thick of the excitement, but as it turned out, too busy snoring to realise it.

The fact I slept through it is a particularly bitter pill to swallow, given I have endured broken sleep almost every night since arriving back in Guatemala three weeks ago, due to a combination of avocados falling onto my corrugated iron bedroom roof in the middle of the night, randy feral cats with long toenails running across said roof during the mating hour around midnight, music blaring / fireworks exploding from the Feria in the early hours and local dogs and cockerels having long conversations with each other from about 4AM every morning. And that is not to mention the tail end of Tropical Storm Alex howling outside my bedroom all last week, four young boys at my home-stay preparing themselves noisily for school around 7AM each morning, mosquitoes flying up my nose in the middle of the night (this happened two nights ago – presumably because I forgot to snort DEET before I went to bed), and of course my queasy vomitus stomach of a fortnight ago. 

Last night I slept like a baby, and asides from sleeping through the first seismic activity of my travels through the Americas, didn´t wake up until an ungodly 09:30, after a solid eleven hours sleep. 


Hell, sabbaticals can be tough-going sometimes.