Wednesday 23 June 2010

LAURA THE ANNOYING AMERICAN IN SAN PEDRO


The American girl that has been staying in the same homestay as me this week moved out today, and I cannot say I am sorry to see her go. Even in the short three days that I have got to know Laura during our brief conversations at the kitchen table in our homestay and between classes at Spanish school, she has struck me as yet another irritating, self-absorbed 'estadosunidense' that thinks they are/know better than everyone else.

During our first meal together at the homestay on Monday, she informed me loudly in front of our Guatemalan hosts that she had had a couple of upset stomachs since arriving in San Pedro, and that I had better watch out what I ate at the homestay. Today, I watched her screw her face up as she picked at her lunch, and wondered if she realised that Rosa, our hostess, was almost certainly watching her too.

This afternoon, Laura moves into a hotel for the remaining days of her time in San Pedro, claiming she "wants a better view of Lago Atitlan" for her last days in in Guatemala. Good riddance is what I say. As far as I am concerned, if you are going to complain about the food (this lunchtime she didn't like the sauce), the weather (Tikal was too hot for her) and the places you visit (Antigua was apparently "too gringo") when you visit a foreign country, its probably best if you just stay at home.


Laura, if you are reading this:- PISS OFF. And just incase you are wondering , yes, the email address I gave you for when you come to Scotland next year was indeed made up.