Wednesday 30 June 2010

A TROPICAL STORM IN SAN PEDRO


I remember three things from my childhood about Strathaven Gala Day. One, schoolchildren on floats (lorries in fancy dress) caused riots by throwing sweets into the watching crowd. Two, a school friend vomited on my lap one year whilst we were on the Octopus fairground ride. And three, it mostly rained.

San Pedro’s annual Feria is taking place this week, and mostly it has rained.
 
I feel really sorry for the local businessmen that have set up food stalls, a ferris wheel and other fairground amusements in the streets, as unfortunately the three inches of rain water flowing freely through everything in the town has largely dampened the party atmosphere. Almost everyone has a dejected look on their face, as they tiptoe through puddles and peer out from underneath their umbrellas. Earlier, I walked past a corn on the cob vendor with his head in his hands, looking like he was crying. And for me personally, the only light entertainment in the last few days of walking about San Pedro in wet jeans and trainers happened today, when I watched the four year old boy at my homestay pick the crisps back up that he had just dropped in a large puddle to eat them, because he reasoned they hadn’t actually touched the ground.

Felipe my homestay host tells me that it rains every year during the Feria, and it should hardly be a surprise to the depressed corn on the cob merchant given June is right in the middle of Guatemala’s rainy season. This years Feria in San Pedro also coincides with tropical storm Alex, which I am informed by a friend has already killed 10 people in Central America and is due to reach hurricane strength later on today.

Last night as the wind howled and the noise of the rain battering off my corrugated-iron bedroom room sounded like a eighties heavy metal drummer in a bad mood, I suddenly woke up in a cold sweat. If a large branch could fall onto my bedroom roof when there was no wind whatsoever, could the entire avocado tree not fall into my bedroom at any minute during a tropical storm?