Sunday 27 June 2010

HEAVY RAIN IN SAN PEDRO


When it rains in Guatemala, it really, really rains.

All through last night, the rain lashed off the corrugated iron roof above my bedroom, and when I got up at 7AM this morning to watch the footy at a local pub, the vegetable patch at my homestay was a lake of mud, and the streets a river of water as the rain flowed like Grade 5 rapids down through the town of San Pedro towards Lago Atitlan. 


I hurried through the pouring rain to a bar where England versus Ze Germans was showing, past several Guatamalteco´s lamenting the bad timing of the bad weather (this week is the San Pedro feria, the local equivalent of Strathaven Gala Day), and past a dead frog whose fatal injuries looked to be less likely caused by drowning, and more likely by a tuk tuk wheel.

The game kicked off at 08:00. At 07:58, the electricity went off in Bar Playa and the surrounding neighbourhood, and I started cursing more than just my soaking wet jeans and trainers. At 08:10, the bar owner got a text message that Bar Budha still had electricity and Ze Germans were 1-0 up. At 08:10:01, I hoofed it through the still torrential rain to Bar Budha, arriving to find Ze Germans 2-0 up.

Its now 11:06 and Ze Germans have won 4-1 and I bet the English are already bleating about Lampard´s non-goal being the turning point in the match. It´s still raining heavily, my jeans are soaking and I bet my damp trainers stink tomorrow, and the locals are talking about a possible hurricane if the wind picks up today. But I don´t care, as England are out of the World Cup and that is all that matters.