Friday 25 June 2010

A BAG OF SICK IN SAN PEDRO


Perhaps I was too critical of Laura the annoying American and her complaints about the local food. This morning I had my first bout of sickness in three months of travelling, and the queasy stomach, rapid-fire diarrhea and vomitus that I suffered can only have originated from something I ate at my Guatetmalan homestay.

It all started around 4AM, when I awoke with an aching stomach and an inability to get back to sleep. Thirty minutes later, I was bent double over an empty polythene bag in the corner of my bedroom (my dirty washing bag - fortunately I did my laundry yesterday), puking for Escocia.

Afterwards, I did manage to fall back asleep, but woke again around 7AM with similar pains in my stomach, this time managing to reach the bathroom before throwing up again. The following hours were spent in a miserable wretching hell in the toilet and in the poly bag in my room; I was so ill I didn´t even watch the Brazil Portugal match that I had been looking forward to, nor did I go to my Spanish classes in the afternoon, a particular shame as Clarita my Spanish teacher had been planning to give me an exam.

Naturally, Rosa and Felipe my homestay hosts have been understanding towards the extranjero with the weak stomach, giving me some plain boiled rice for lunch, and helping to extricate the polythene bag full of sick from my bedroom this afternoon. There is no formal refuse collection in San Pedro, so I am not quite sure where Felipe was going to dump my bag of sick, but I just hope he realised there were a few holes in the polythene before he got too far.