Thursday 29 April 2010

AN UPSET STOMACH IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN


I´ve been travelling for almost a month now, and had hardly any side-effects from eating uncooked hamburgers and cold hot dogs from Cuban street vendors, and all manner of tacos and tortas filled with all manner of meats such as chicken, pork, chorizo and whatever the meat was on the rotating elephant leg that I ate in a kebab shop near my hotel in Playa Del Carmen.

Tonight whilst out walking Avenida Quinta, I had a sudden queasy stomach and hot cold sweats in the street, followed by an immediate urge to get to a toilet, followed by an immediate panic that I was nowhere near a toilet.

As I sat down at a bus stop bench to wipe my brow, cross my legs and start to give myself the Last Rites, I suddenly realised all I had eaten all afternoon was a packet of Habanero flavoured crisps. I should have known that the picture of a boiling cauldron on the front of the packet was a warning sign. Next time, I stick with Monster Munches.