Friday 9 April 2010

A COLD BEER ON A BENCH IN VARADERO


When I was walking back to the hotel this evening, a security guard outside a primary school asked me if I was German, and then for some money for a Coca Cola. At least I think this is what he asked for, but either way, I told him I was Scottish and had no dinero, and asked him why he was guarding a primary school.

He explained it was because of the Revolution and specifically because of borrachoes extranjeros (foreign drunks). He then said something about Estados Unidos that I didn´t quite understand, partly because he talked quickly, but mostly because I was too busy trying to conceal the can of Cristal (the preferred beer of Cubans according to its logo) that I had just been drinking on a bus stop bench minutes earlier, behind my back.