Monday 12 April 2010

RAIN IN TRINIDAD


The population of Trinidad is more Afro-Carribean than the Latin-American locals that I have seen so far in Cuba, and seem to be generally poorer. An amigo of Vilo that he had arranged to meet me at the bus station was not there when I arrived, so instead I stay at El Fausto with Manuel and Eneida. Again I take the opportunity to dine in the hostal, and again I am not dissapointed with the food, even if I do eat alone again.



It rains for the first time today, and heavily. I tell a few people that Trinidad is just like Scotland in this respect. A man selling cigars on a street corner tells me that vew Scottish people visit Trinidad, but he does know about ´gaitas´ and ´faldas escoces´ (bagpipes and kilts).

Manuels son later tells me that quite a few British tourists come to Trinidad, but that few of them speak Spanish and so find things a little difficult as a lot of Cubanos talk no English. Remembering my own travels in Spain a few years ago and my own ´no hablo Ingles´frustrations, I am already quietly pleased with my interaction I am having with the people of Cuba.