Sunday 11 April 2010

A FEAST OF LOBSTER IN SANTA CLARA


When I arrive back around seven at Hostal Las Arecas, Vila informs me that dinner will be around eight. Gilda then tells me that she loves me (´te amo´), causing me some surprise, and significant discomfort that she would suddenly announce this in front of her husband, until I realise she has actually said ´te llamo´ - she will call me (when dinner is ready).

When dinner is ready, it is a feast of lobster, rice, salad and chips, and also my first can of the Cuban Coca Cola - TuCola. I am slightly disappointed that my hosts do not eat with me so I can practice my Spanish, but they both chat to me after I finish my cena.

Gilda tells me about her other son that is working as a doctor in Arizona. Vilo tells me he plans to watch every football match during the World Cup. I tell him that I hope Inglaterre do not win, but without the vocabulary to explain about Braveheart and the pillaging of Scottish oil.

Vilo and Gilda and their son Pedro are good people and I will be sorry to move on tomorrow.