Tuesday 26 October 2010

FIRST DAY BACK AT THE ORPHANAGE IN BOGOTÀ


Today was my first day back at the orphanage in Bogotá, after two and a bit weeks of jaunting around the jungle and beaches of northern Colombia.

Within seconds of walking in the front door, one of my favourites had grabbed me by the hand and started leading me into the main area to play noughts and crosses. Within seconds of walking into the main area, one of my other favourites, Joanna, was jumping over me and asking me why had I not visited her in so long, and several other young children were shaking me by the hand.

All in all, it took about twenty seconds in the orphanage this morning to remind me just how rewarding volunteer work can be, and the next two or three hours of helping the kids with their homework to reiterate to me just how much. I cannot wait to go back tomorrow.