Friday 3 September 2010

A REWARDING FIRST WEEK IN BOGOTA


It's been a rewarding first week of volunteering in Bogota. On Wednesday, I spent the day in a local orphanage being called calvito (baldy), having stuffed toys thrown at him, and feeding young children their dinner. On Thursday, I 'taught' part of a Religious Education lesson at a school, and then played football with the children in the local park. Today, I peeled potatoes and chopped leeks as part of the daily preparations for cooking a meal for the homeless people in Macarena, one of the poorer areas of inner Bogota, and then spent time at an old folks refuge, sitting with old ladies that have no other place to go. 
It's been an enjoyable but long few days, and I am looking forward to letting my hair down on the salsa dance-floor in Quiebra Canto tonight.