Wednesday 1 September 2010

MY FIRST DAY VOLUNTEERING IN BOGOTA


Today was my first day as a volunteer with Emerging Voices, a local Colombian volunteer organisation that is part of the international IVHQ volunteering and charity organisation. 

My day was spent in a local Bogotan orphanage where over 150 children permanently live, and around 300 pass through on a daily basis. Most of them are direct or indirect victims of child abuse in their past. I had stuffed toys thrown at me. I was climbed over. I gave piggy back rides. I was called 'calvito' (baldy). I helped feed 2-3 year olds their basic meat and rice dinner, and helped encourage older children to eat their own dinner. I laugned and smiled and spoke Spanish with the children, and it was one of the most rewarding days I have had in a long time. I cannot wait until tomorrow.