Saturday 25 September 2010

DJ PAUL OAKENFOLD IN BOGOTA


The last time I saw Paul Oakenfold, I was nineteen years old and he was dj'ing in The Union at Strathclyde University. I had hair, and was almost certainly drinking pints of lager served in plastic glasses. This time, I was thirty four years old, had no hair and was drinking Martinis served in cocktail glasses.

Last time I saw Paul Oakenfold, I remember being drunk. This time I barely remember even leaving Prada bar to catch a taxi down to Piso 30, the nightclub on the 30th floor of a downtown Bogota skyscraper where the British DJ was headlining. The Martinis on the cocktail menu in Prada are strong. Lychee Martinis had the heads of both me and Gloria, the Colombiana I was with, spinning. The Limon Martini I then followed it up with tipped me well and truly over the edge.

Maybe I am getting old, as I cannot remember ever getting drunk on two drinks before. Maybe Paul Oakenfold is also getting old, as I cannot remember him dancing like a tipsy grandmother at a wedding when I saw him behind the decks in Glasgow in 1995. Dodgy dancing aside, his dj set at Piso 30 last night was amazing, as was the panoramic night-sky view of Bogota and the company of the beautiful Gloria. 


 Fortunately the music was a lot better than the photography