Wednesday 25 August 2010

SLEEP DEPRIVATION IN HOSTAL PANGEA IN COSTA RICA


Staying in the Hostal Pangea in San José has reminded me of my three months of uncomfortable nights 'sleeping' in backpacker dorms in North America a few years ago.

A good nights sleep is virtually impossible in any hostal, and particularly in the Hostal Pangea. Most travellers use San Josè as a transport connection between other places, and therefore need to get up at the crack of dawn to catch their next plane or bus out of Costa Rica´s capital. Most of them will only spend one night in Hostal Pangea, and drink one too many Imperial cervezas in the bar, before staggering back to the dorm room, crashing into everything in the dark, before collapsing in their bunk bed and starting to snore loudly. Most of them will wake up around 4AM to catch their plane or bus and realise they forgot to pack their rucksack the previous night, and have to rustle about in the dark for 20 minutes in their rucksack, before staggering off with a hangover to catch their bus or plane.

All the banging, crashing, snoring, 4AM alarm clocks and rucksack rustling wakes me almost every night. It didn´t annoy me so much the first two nights as I was doing my own fair share of banging, crashing and probably snoring after drinking with the Australians in the hostal bar, however last night I went to bed early, but hardly slept all night. The fat swine on the top bunk above me woke me every time he rolled over in bed, which was approximately every twenty seconds. The fat swine above me also woke me every time he went to the toilet, which was three times. Several months of travelling on local buses with no toilet has clearly strengthened my bladder, as I rarely need to get up during the night after a skinful of Central American beers. In the Hostal Pangea, I just need to wake up to listen to other weaker-bladdered travellers getting up in the middle of the night to rush to the toilet before they wet the bed.

If the fat swine on the top bunk above me wets the bed whilts I am sleeping underneath, I will really be unhappy. If I have to sleep in a dorm room during my six weeks volunteering in Bogota, I will really be unhappy