Monday 22 March 2010

SABBATICAL DAY 1


It’s 08:35AM and I just woke up. No alarm clock, snooze button and alarm clock seven minutes later. No rushing around getting dressed in the straitjacket attire of the office worker (aka shirt/tie/suit and non-polish shoes that accidentally once saw polish). No eating toast as I brush my teeth, swiftly followed by a snail-paced rush hour traffic-jam commute into the office.

I watched television as I ate my breakfast this morning, something I don’t think I’ve done since University. And back then it was different anyway, as it was generally mid-afternoon television by the time I got up and had my breakfast. Reminiscing about student days makes me wonder if Countdown is still on in the afternoons, now that Richard Whitely is dead and Carol Voderman quit after being told to accept a 90% pay-cut if she wanted to continue putting up vowels and consonants every weekday.

I've taken a 100% pay-cut for the duration of my sabbatical, but have absolutely no regrets. Normally by this time on a Monday morning, I would have received and/or replied to about 250 emails and already forgotten about the weekend, that is if I even had a weekend and didn’t spend it all trying to catch up on work from the week before. Today, I haven't even checked my emails yet. Today, I've got Jeremy Kyle.

Soul-destroying daytime television aside, I could definitely get used to Sabbaticals.